Also, please consider joining us for our Zoom Worship Service at 10am on Sunday by clicking this link:
https://umcom.zoom.us/j/97309102821. Or, from a phone, dial: 1-301-715-8592, and enter the Meeting ID 973 0910 2821 when prompted.
Call to Worship (responsively)
One: We gather together from a shared place,
Many: bringing the communities we have built.
One: We bring new jokes and friendships;
Many: we bring deep conversation;
One: we bring joy in the people we have met;
Many: we bring thanks for those around us;
One: we bring understanding that we change every day;
Many: we bring who we are, impacted by everyone here;
One: we bring who we are becoming, impacting the world around us;
Many: we bring ourselves, made by God. (BWC Summer 2017 Curriculum)
Opening Hymn Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise (103 UMH)
Compassionate God, many days it is difficult to worship you and you alone. The temptations around us are so strong. Guard us against them, and, when we, by our own fault, fail to be an obedient people, forgive us, pick us up again, and set us on the path that leads to eternal life. Amen. (Rev. Bonnie McCubbin)
(Be sure to "subscribe" to our YouTube Channel too, so you don't miss any updates!)
Sermon You can download a sermon below
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;*
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic** church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Joys, Concerns, & God Sightings
Continuing Prayers: Our Police; Baltimore; Our nation and world; The Syrian refugee crisis and Aleppo; Our homebound, Those effected by Covid-19--including medical staff, teachers, parents, children, those infected, etc.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
We know this is a tough time for everyone, but every little bit helps. Our preferred method of giving is by utilizing our online giving platform available with any of the green "Give" buttons located throughout our website. This is safe, secure, and gets the funds to us nearly instantly. Alternatively, you may mail your offerings to the church (3800 Roland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21211)--but there may be a delay in depositing. Lastly, please consider bringing your offerings when we resume meeting to "make up" the weeks missed. We appreciate your generosity as we seek to continue our mission and ministry throughout the community and world during this difficult time.
Doxology (94 UMH)
Prayer of Dedication
O God, may our use of money reflect the values we claim to champion. Receive these gifts as a sign of our commitment to put our money where our mouth is. Amen. (W&S 104)
Closing Hymn There is a Balm in Gilead (375 UMH).
1) Sometimes I feel discouraged and think my work's in vain, but then the Holy Spirit revives my soul again. (Refrain)
2) If you cannot preach like Peter, if you cannot pray like Paul, you can tell the love of Jesus, and say "He died for all" (Refrain)
3) Don't ever feel discouraged for Jesus is your friend. And if you lack for knowledge, He'll ne'er refuse to Lend (Refrain)
UPDATE: We are worshiping remotely at least through the end of November, except for communion services to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. If you have pastoral needs, please contact Pastor Bonnie directly (preferably through email or the website) so they can be addressed promptly. We have no office hours and all activities, including, but not limited to worship, Bible Study, Church Council, choir, and After School Programs are cancelled until the building re-opens, and will be on a modified schedule once we return.
When Pastor Bonnie goes on maternity leave (sometime in August), Pastor Randy will be covering for her. Any questions, concerns, pastoral, or worship needs should be directed to him. He will be supported by our Program Assistant, Will McBride. Please keep them in prayer.
A "Re-Launch" Team is meeting to discern best practices for our congregation moving forward. Stay tuned for more information. We understand many people are anxious to resume in-person services, however, we are not ready for a safe re-opening. Your Re-Launch Team has procured supplies from various vendors. We are working diligently so that we may gather once a month for communion.
RSVP For September 6 Communion Service (10am): You must RSVP for each service you wish to attend using this link NO LATER THAN 12 noon on the Thursday before the service (in this case, September 3). Masks are required. Specific information for each service will be shared ahead of time as best practices are implemented as we continue to learn more. There will be no online option other than the blog/website when we meet in person.
1) Bring a mask. If you do not have a mask, we can give you a bandanna to wear.
2) You must remain in your assigned seat at all times, socially distant. You will be dismissed row by row. There will be no passing of the peace.
3) Bathrooms will be limited and must be sanitized between users. Please plan accordingly.
4) You will be screened at entry. If you have any health concerns, please stay home.
5) You will be provided with an individual serving of communion for your consumption after you leave the worship space. We are not providing "to go" packs for persons not present. We are preparing only the number of servings we need for those who RSVP. Please do not remove your mask to consume while inside.
6) There will be no bulletins. If you have vision issues, please notify Pastor Bonnie or Pastor Randy ASAP so we can seat you near our screens.
7) There will be no Sunday School. Families with children under 4 may sign up to use the PrayGround (1 family per service). The service will be shorter. Please bring what you need to keep your child(ren) in their seats.
8) Hand sanitizing stations will be available at our 3 main entrances. We will be asking folx to sanitize upon entry.
Please stay home and stay safe. If you need help getting reliable information, please reach out to Pastor Bonnie. She is getting informed and updated by Johns Hopkins staff and experts twice a week.
Masks are now required when in public across the state of Maryland. If you do not have a face covering (mask, scarf, bandanna, etc.) please email HampdenPastor@gmail.com for more information on getting a suitable covering.
Online Giving Go to our website (www.goodshepherdhampden.com) and click the green "Give" button to go to a secure website for your transactions. Or, download the secure, encrypted App Tithe.ly from the App Store or Google Play.
Contact Information We have tried to reach out to every regular attendee and member each week via telephone, text, and/or email. However, in many situations, we have incorrect contact information. Please be sure to *email* or call Pastor Bonnie ASAP so you do not miss any information. You should be receiving calls from both Pastor Bonnie and a member of our Church Council Leadership team regularly. If you are not, please let us know.
Flowers already paid for will be moved to an open date after we return.