Also, please consider joining us for our Zoom Worship Service at 10am on Sunday by clicking this link:
https://umcom.zoom.us/j/97309102821. Or, from a phone, dial: 1-301-715-8592, and enter the Meeting ID 973 0910 2821 when prompted.
Call to Worship (responsively)
One: O God, be gracious to us and bless us and make your face to shine upon us,
Many: that your way may be known upon earth, your saving power among all nations.
One: Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!
Many: Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for you judge the peoples with equity and guide the nations upon earth.
One: Let the peoples praise you, O God; let all the peoples praise you!
Many: The earth has yielded its increase; God, our God, has blessed us.
One: God has blessed us;
Many: let all the ends of the earth fear God! (Psalm 67, 791 UMH)
Opening Hymn In Christ There Is No East or West (548 UMH)
2) In him shall true hearts everywhere their high communion find; His service is the golden cord closebinding humankind
3) Join hands, disciples in the faith what e'er your race may be! Who serve each other in Christ's love are surely kin to me
4) In Christ now meet both east and west, in him mees south and north; all Christly souls are one in him, throughout the whole wide earth
All-merciful, tender God, you have given birth to our world, conceiving and bearing all that lives and breathes. We come to you as your daughters and sons, aware of our aggression and anger, our drive to dominate and manipulate others. We ask you to forgive us, and by the gentle touch of your Spirit help us to find a renewed sense of compassion, that we may truly live as your people in service to all. Amen.
(Be sure to "subscribe" to our YouTube Channel too, so you don't miss any updates!)
He leadeth me, he leadeth me; by his own hand he leadeth me: his faithful follower I would be, for by his hand he leadeth me.
2) Sometimes mid scenes of deepest gloom, sometimes where Eden's flowers bloom, by waters calm, o'er troubled sea,still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me. (Refrain)
3) Lord, I would clasp thy hand in mine, nor ever murmur nor repine; content, whatever lot I see, since 'tis my God that leadeth me. (Refrain)
4) And when my task on earth is done, when, by thy grace, the victory's won, e'en death's cold wave I will not flee, since God through Jordan leadeth me. (Refrain)
Scripture Acts 16:11-15 (Click for the NRSV translation)
Sermon You can download a sermon below
I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth;
And in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord;
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;*
the third day he rose from the dead;
he ascended into heaven,
and sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic** church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.
Joys, Concerns, & God Sightings
Continuing Prayers: Our Police; Baltimore; Our nation and world; The Syrian refugee crisis and Aleppo; Our homebound, Those effected by Covid-19--including medical staff, teachers, parents, children, those infected, etc.
The Lord's Prayer
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
We know this is a tough time for everyone, but every little bit helps. Our preferred method of giving is by utilizing our online giving platform available with any of the green "Give" buttons located throughout our website. This is safe, secure, and gets the funds to us nearly instantly. Alternatively, you may mail your offerings to the church (3800 Roland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21211)--but there may be a delay in depositing. Lastly, please consider bringing your offerings when we resume meeting to "make up" the weeks missed. We appreciate your generosity as we seek to continue our mission and ministry throughout the community and world during this difficult time.
Doxology (94 UMH)
Prayer of Dedication
O God, you unconditionally share your only son with all who believe in your name. On this holy day, receive our offerings as an affirmation of our commitment to be your faithful disciples. Strengthen our ability to be gifted stewards of your created world. We pray in the name of the Resurrected One, Jesus Christ, the Messiah. Amen. (W&S 130)
Closing Hymn Holy, Holy, Holy (64 UMH)
2) Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore thee, casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee, who wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.
3) Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide thee, though the eye of sinful man thy glory may not see,
only thou art holy; there is none beside thee perfect in pow'r, in love, and purity.
4) Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty! All thy works shall praise thy name in earth and sky and sea.
Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty! God in three Persons, blessed Trinity!
UPDATE: We are worshiping remotely at least through the end of November, except for communion services to help prevent the spread of Covid-19. If you have pastoral needs, please contact Pastor Bonnie directly (preferably through email or the website) so they can be addressed promptly. We have no office hours and all activities, including, but not limited to worship, Bible Study, Church Council, choir, and After School Programs are cancelled until the building re-opens, and will be on a modified schedule once we return.
When Pastor Bonnie goes on maternity leave (sometime in August), Pastor Randy will be covering for her. Any questions, concerns, pastoral, or worship needs should be directed to him. He will be supported by our Program Assistant, Will McBride. Please keep them in prayer.
A "Re-Launch" Team is meeting to discern best practices for our congregation moving forward. Stay tuned for more information. We understand many people are anxious to resume in-person services, however, we are not ready for a safe re-opening. Your Re-Launch Team has procured supplies from various vendors. We are working diligently so that we may gather once a month for communion.
RSVP For September 6 Communion Service (10am): You must RSVP for each service you wish to attend using this link NO LATER THAN 12 noon on the Thursday before the service (in this case, September 3). Masks are required. Specific information for each service will be shared ahead of time as best practices are implemented as we continue to learn more. There will be no online option other than the blog/website when we meet in person.
1) Bring a mask. If you do not have a mask, we can give you a bandanna to wear.
2) You must remain in your assigned seat at all times, socially distant. You will be dismissed row by row. There will be no passing of the peace.
3) Bathrooms will be limited and must be sanitized between users. Please plan accordingly.
4) You will be screened at entry. If you have any health concerns, please stay home.
5) You will be provided with an individual serving of communion for your consumption after you leave the worship space. We are not providing "to go" packs for persons not present. We are preparing only the number of servings we need for those who RSVP. Please do not remove your mask to consume while inside.
6) There will be no bulletins. If you have vision issues, please notify Pastor Bonnie or Pastor Randy ASAP so we can seat you near our screens.
7) There will be no Sunday School. Families with children under 4 may sign up to use the PrayGround (1 family per service). The service will be shorter. Please bring what you need to keep your child(ren) in their seats.
8) Hand sanitizing stations will be available at our 3 main entrances. We will be asking folx to sanitize upon entry.
Please stay home and stay safe. If you need help getting reliable information, please reach out to Pastor Bonnie. She is getting informed and updated by Johns Hopkins staff and experts twice a week.
Masks are now required when in public across the state of Maryland. If you do not have a face covering (mask, scarf, bandanna, etc.) please email HampdenPastor@gmail.com for more information on getting a suitable covering.
Online Giving Go to our website (www.goodshepherdhampden.com) and click the green "Give" button to go to a secure website for your transactions. Or, download the secure, encrypted App Tithe.ly from the App Store or Google Play.
Contact Information We have tried to reach out to every regular attendee and member each week via telephone, text, and/or email. However, in many situations, we have incorrect contact information. Please be sure to *email* or call Pastor Bonnie ASAP so you do not miss any information. You should be receiving calls from both Pastor Bonnie and a member of our Church Council Leadership team regularly. If you are not, please let us know.
Flowers already paid for will be moved to an open date after we return.