***Please check out the announcements at the end of this post for more information, including a death notice.***
I invite you to gather with your home, maybe a neighbor or two, or just by yourself, and worship God at our regular worship time. I will be doing the same and praying for you. If you have new prayer requests or a pastoral need, please call me at home. We are working very hard to be sure that everyone knows we are closed tomorrow. Please spread the word. Most of us would rather hear it 2 or 3 times than not at all. If you live at 3838 or 3939, it will be announced over the speaker. However, please make sure your neighbors can hear the speaker.
Call to Worship:
One: To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
Many: O my God, in you I trust, let me not be put to shame; let not my enemies exult over me.
One: Let none that wait for you be put to shame;
Many: let them be shamed who are clothed with treachery.
One: Make me to know your ways, O Lord;
Many: teach me your paths.
One: Lead me in your truth, and teach me,
Many: for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all the day long.
One: Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.
Many: Remember not the sins of my youth, or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
One: Good and upright is the Lord; therefore the Lord instructs sinners in the way, and leads the humble in what is right, and teaches them their way.
Many: All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness, for those who keep the Lord's covenant and testimonies. (Psalm 25:1-10, UMH 757)
Opening Hymn: Take Time to Be Holy (plays after the ad)
Response to Prayer: The Gloria Patri
Ponderings: Discuss with those gathered or ask yourself these questions:
1) What is the passage trying to say?
2) What about the passage sticks out to me (good or bad)? Why?
3) What is God trying to say to me through this passage?
Things to Consider:
Check out this blog post about beginning the Season of Lent (click on "blog post" in the sentence) and consider the questions at the end of it.
If you'd like to read Pastor Bonnie's sermon from 3 years ago when she preached this passage, you can find that below.
Roy who diligently checks our building every day and ensures we are running well!
Pastor Bonnie is feeling a lot better!
Ashes to Go was a great success!
The family of Don L. upon his passing.
Norman S. had a stroke and is now home. Prayers only--no calls.
Emma's brother, Danny had a stroke and is in serious condition in North Carolina.
Rev. Dan, Interim Pastor at Hampden UMC, had open heart surgery this week.
Hampden UMC, in the midst of their transition to a new pastor, Rev. Jessica Statesman, March 1.
Continuing Prayer Concerns: Tim P; Evelyn R. and her family; Edie W & Family; Myrtle M; Edith’s Family, Pastor Bonnie’s grandfather, Al, Shirley S., Mary J.
The Lord's Prayer:
Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine in the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Closing Hymn: Spirit, Spirit of Gentleness (music starts after about 15 seconds of the opening slide)
1) Pastor Bonnie's Tuesday Bible Study has been postponed by a week. We will now begin on Tuesday, March 1, at 2pm. Please read the 1st chapter, and we'll see you then! (There is still room to join, if you are interested).
Pastor Angie's Friday Bible Study will resume on Friday at 2pm. Please read the next chapter and corresponding Scriptures.
2) We are having Ash Wednesday worship this week! (Yup...postponed by a week...but God is more concerned with our actions than our calendar). Join us on Wednesday, February 25 at 7pm for a reflective service and imposition of ashes.
3) New church directories are available on the 38th Street table (whenever we get back to church!). Note that the emergency closing list has changed. If your contact information changes at any point, please call our Administrative Assistant, Rachel, in the church office to update your information.
4) Don't forget that even when the church is closed, we have costs. The cold weather has meant an increase in heating fuel. Please be sure to bring your missed Sunday's offerings to worship when we return, or check out our Giving Page for other options.
5) Check out the "In the News" Page for one of the several stories done on our church and Ashes to Go! Please spread the word about Good Shepherd to your friends, family, neighbors, and anyone else you meet! All are welcome!
6) It is with great sadness that we inform you that Don L. passed away this morning. Funeral information will be coming out Sunday or Monday. If you have further questions, please contact Pastor Bonnie. We will need your help to spread the word about funeral arrangements once they are known since it will probably occur before we meet again.
7) It is cold outside. If your heat is broken, call 311. They are prioritizing these issues. If you see a homeless or unhoused person, call 211. Transportation is provided to shelters, and we are in a Code Blue, meaning, that shelters can't turn folks away. Let's keep our community safe and warm.